This was an easy one. I’ve recently installed macOS Catalina 10.15.2 on my desktop PC. The specs are Gigabyte GA-B150M-VP, i5-6600K CPU, Team Elite 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz Memory, and Radeon™ RX 580 GPU alongside a boot SSD for macOS and shared HDD storage for macOS and Windows. This is a test set-up and I won’t tweak this build for the latest versions of Clover or macOS.
A word of warning; you should modify the EFI (a lot) if your system specs are different. Ethernet isn’t working for me for the time being. Downgrading Clover would fix that. But I use a nano-USB adapter for WiFi. I’m content with that. Everything else should work out of the box if you have the specs as mine.
- Proceed with caution. Don’t blame me if you didn’t back up.
- Delete VoodooHDA from Kexts/Other, if the AppleALC Kext is working.
- The guide is not applicable to Opencore bootloader. Go ahead though, if you know what you’re doing.
My EFI folder is applicable for Vanilla approach and SSD hot-swap (just replace/paste EFI folder – not recommended though.) If things go south, use the clover settings from Hackintosher’s ASUS Z170 EFI Pack. But then you’ve to tweak settings a bit more.
What Doesn’t Work?
- Ethernet (For the time being. Catalina broke the ethernet for me. I use a WiFi adapter anyway. So no plans to fix it real soon.)
- FaceTime/iMessage (It will work after SMBIOS edits. You should do that.)
- Guide to create a bootable macOS Catalina USB install drive (on macOS)
- Guide to create a bootable macOS Catalina USB install drive (on Windows)
Post USB preparation
- Install Clover to the USB flash drive.
- Use Clover Configurator (macOS) or DiskGenius (Windows) to mount the EFI folder within the USB flash drive.
- Paste my /EFI folder to the EFI partition.