Apple unveiled iOS 12 at WWDC 2018. This version of iOS looks very sleek in my opinion, and a few of the key highlights include optimized battery performance, security enhancements, new AR features etc. Skip introduction.
Despite the magnitude of the economic deceleration that accelerated poor sales of iPhones, particularly in Greater China, Apple’s installed base of active devices hit a new all-time high—growing by more than 100 million units in 12 months.
However, iOS 12.x is only available to the developer community for testing. Meaning, you need to have a developer account to download and install iOS beta 12.x on your iOS devices.
But, luckily, there are workarounds to install iOS 12.2 beta 2 previews without a developer account.
All you have to do is install an ios_12_beta_profile.mobileconfig Profile.
There are a lot of distracting blogs out there; I’ll be specific, and you can finish the whole iOS 12.2 beta 1 installation process in a couple of minutes. The compatibility list is available at the bottom of the article. Proceed at your own risk.
How To Install iOS 12.x Without Developer Account
Step 1: Visit “this link” from your iPhone or iPad and tap “allow.” The device will prompt you to restart after installing the profile. Just do it.
Step 2: Go to General -> Software Update. You’d be able to see iOS 12.2 beta 2 as an available over-the-air (OTA) firmware update.
Step 3: Tap on Download and install and wait for your device to prepare the update. The download may take a few minutes, and it entirely depends on your WiFi connection and device model.
Step 4: Tap on “Install Now” when you’re ready. Happy testing!
My initial thoughts on iOS 12 beta (not 12.2 beta 2)
- My iPhone 6s performs faster comparing to iOS 11’s latest public release.
- I feel the animation is smooth.
- Screentime, Google has been doing it for years. But it’s good to see Apple adopting such an important feature.
- Grouped notifications, a much-needed feature!
Update: Latest iOS 12 public betas (not iOS 12.2 beta 2) updates were draining my iPhone 6s’ battery very fast. Not recommended.
Disclaimer & Credits
- ios_12_beta_profile.mobileconfig as seen on betaprofiles.com.
- Download and install beta versions of iOS at your own risk.
- The cover image is a screenshot of https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-12/ page-hero.
The following official iOS 12.x compatibility list is from Apple.
iOS 12.x is compatible with these iPhones
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
iPad models supporting iOS 12.x
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 3rd generation
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
- 11-inch iPad Pro
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- iPad 6th generation
- iPad 5th generation
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
iPod models supporting iOS 12.x
- iPod touch 6th generation